Our computers are a vital part of our everyday life now. Whether it’s for work or at home, so much important data is on our computers. So when they stop working properly, become slow or unresponsive it’s can be exceedingly frustrating. The first step to being able to solve a problem is to diagnose it, and why can do that by looking at the symptoms. If your computer is having hard drive problems it may be showing one or more of these signs.
- Disappearing files: Files can be lost do to mechanical problems with the disk itself, and in some cases, you’ll be able to tell as the disk usually makes some out-of-the-ordinary noises when things are going haywire.
- Computer freezing: A computer freezing is a common occurrence, and it’s almost always solved by a quick reboot. However, if you find that that it’s becoming more and more frequent, your hard drive could be on its last leg.
- Corrupted data: If you’ve downloaded and installed files without a hitch, but suddenly out of nowhere, files have become corrupt, it’s possible that your hard drive is experiencing a gradual failure.
- Bad sectors: A sector on a hard drive stores a certain amount of data accessible by the user. There are two types of sectors, a hard and soft sector. In most cases, Windows is able to repair a soft bad sector, as it’s almost always related to a software mishap. Formatting the drive will almost always fix this. But, if it’s a hard bad sector, this indicates physical damage, which can not be repaired. You can manually check for a bad sector by right-clicking the drive in My Computer. Select “Properties” and then navigate to the “Tools” tab. Finally, under “Error Checking” select the “Check” button. Windows will identify any sectors that have gone bad. As mentioned, Windows will try to fix it with a restart and doing some behind-the-scenes magic, but if that does not work, you could be, once again, experiencing gradual failure.
- Sounds: If you’re hard drive is making sounds that you aren’t familiar with, this could also be bad news, particularly if it’s a grinding or screeching noise.
If you are experiencing any of these problems with your computer or laptop come on into Brainwave PC and Computers! We can get your laptop or computer up and running again!
Learn more about Computer Repair From Brainwave, or give us a call at: 503-806-0027
SRC: Hard Drive Failing?